If you are working in a software development company then you might have come across the word software project milestone. But how many among you actually know what milestone is? In this blog, we will discuss what is a milestone, when they are needed and why to use them? This will help you in understanding the need and importance of working in the project with the defined milestone.
So let's begin our learning by understanding what milestone is?
Milestone is something like a road mapping. As after completion of roadmap you start dividing the roadmap into iterations. This helps you to know the part of work that is being assigned to every single member. Covering up the topic for project management, a milestone is something that symbolizes an achievement. It is one of the most important aspects of project planning that help the team to stay focused on the objective of the project. It is essential to offer the best services and of course deliveries of the project within a given time-frame. Also, it helps in knowing and managing the financial record by maintaining data of sending and receiving the payment.
Project Management Milestone Examples
In simple terms, a milestone is something that simplifies project management. It tracks the major events, dates, decision, and deliverables. To understand it in a better way, here are some of the examples of project milestone.
- Setting the beginning and end date of the task or project
- Key deliveries
- Approval from client and stakeholders
- Scheduling important meetings and presentations.
Why use Milestone in Software Development?
- Monitor project progress: Nothing is better than working on a project with the deadlines. This can be done by using an effective project management milestone. This helps in acknowledging your team about the important dates and events associated with the project. This surely assists and notifying the team about the requirements and working in a more focused way towards the task assigned to them.
- Meet deadlines: Along with the proper management of the project and its deadline it is very important to notify the team members about different events like deadlines, presentation, meeting, etc. With the project management software, you would be able to schedule and track all such information at one centralized location. This streamlines the overall business operation thus help in meeting the task goals in an effective manner.
- Spot important dates: Some of the days in the project tenure there might be some things that interrupt with the normal progress of the task. It can be training, absence of potential team member due to some reasons. With the milestone, you can handle such challenges and pay attention to more specific and accurate estimation of time while defining the deadline of the project.
- Identify project bottlenecks: There are many projects that depend on external team members or factors to get it done. In that case, it is essential to look and consider those factors to achieve a marked deadline.
- Evaluate team performance: The milestone in the project management system also helps the project manager in counting the efficiency of the team member and in evaluating their performance.
- Manage risks and assumptions: Every project carries with a bit of risk and assumption. To ensure the better mitigation of risks and validation of the assumption it is good to link the project with milestones.
Milestone also helps the manager and team members in understanding the structure of the project. This helps them to understand each step in a better way and also it provides better visibility and functioning of the project. Get the right software to implement it in your system, this would help you in achieving your goals in a seamless manner.
Get the best project management software with all the necessary features integrated into it. Also, it is customizable and thus you can include the features that go according to your business needs. Reach us to discuss your challenges, our team would help you by offering the best solution.